Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Unseasonal bread for unseasonal weather...

In my corner of the globe, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are exceptionally inexpensive right now, as if it was the middle of summer.  And considering that Wednesday it is set to be 75 degrees here (@24 for other people around the globe), it sure is feeling a bit like the start of spring!

Now, my husband and I are about as green as we can possibly be, and I recognize that these berries are pretty tired by the time they get to Georgia.  But they are so stinking fragrant, and as I walk by their temporary grocery store homes, I determine that they need to be in muffins, quick bread, and then in my belly (oh, and cherries- is there a "Santiago, SC?).

So as I couldn't help myself, here is a quick berry bread recipe that is really, very much worth baking.  I know, because I have baked it twice.  The photo below is Sunday's successful attempt.


And this happened a month ago...


I was in a hurry.  I tried to dump it out of the pan too early.  We ate Starbucks that morning instead.

The crumbs were delicious.

Anyway, here it is.  Try for yourself:)

Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Bread
(adapted from My Baking Addiction)
1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
4 oz.  cream cheese
1 C sugar
1 t vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 C flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used greek)
1.5 cups mixed berries

Preheat the oven to 350.  Prepare a 9x4" loaf pan with butter and flour.  If you do not have a 9x4" pan (as I do not), fill the pan to 2/3 full, and then make some muffins with the leftovers.
Cream together the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly between each addition.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.  Add a third of the dry mixture to the butter mixture, and blend until incorporated.  Now, add 1/2 the yogurt, and mix thoroughly (scrape down the bowl between additions).  Now add half of what's left of the dry and mix in, then the remaining yogurt. Mix thoroughly and scrape down between additions.  Add the remaining dry, and stir to incorporate a few times.  Add the berries, and then stir everything together until just mixed.
Pour into prepared pan (or muffin tins), and bake for @50 minutes to an hour.  Enjoy warm!

Have a great day, y'all!

Rachel Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment