Monday, June 20, 2011

Behind the Cake-Pop.

The experts say that after three or four bites of a particular food, a person's taste buds technically become "bored."  I can't say that I experienced this with home-made french fries last night, but perhaps that notion is why I love eating things in miniature.  I love mini cupcakes, brownie bites, sausage balls, and other standard party fare.  But I just- I simply cannot get behind the Cake-Pop.


They are cute- even adorable at times.


But can a recipe which calls for boxed cake mix, can of frosting, and candy melts (sugar + hydrogenated palm kernel oil + color + artificial flavoring) really be that delicious?


Salon professionals (as we like to call ourselves) get to shop in a few places the public does not, and my store of choice is called "Cosmoprof."  We have one in the area, and the staff there is simply... wonderful.  I bring them all sorts of goodies- usually kitchen trials which don't make it onto the blog- and they gladly oblige.  Over a year ago, I saw the Cake-Pop for the first time, and mesmerized by their cuteness, I sprung into action.  I brought them some samples, and they LOVED them.

As I mentioned, I made them once, as in addition to their lack-lustre flavor and chemical components, they left a colossal mess in my kitchen.  It wasn't worth the effort, in my opinion, so I gave up on the notion of a local cake-pop empire (cake-pops are sooo Augusta).

All of this to say, I received a phone call from Cosmoprof, and one of the staff members wanted 30 Red Velvet Cake-Pops.  Since I a) like her and b) will do just about anything for money, I agreed.


The process went a lot more smoothly this time, and although I did indeed use a box, I used home-made cream cheese frosting as the binder.  I also combined the Candy Melts with real chocolate, and the taste was phenomenally better.


As I have had a few inquiries about Cake-Pops and balls, you will be seeing more of them from me.  I have some pumpkin and chocolate cake scraps in the freezer that will be a great experiment.


Would you like to make some yourself?

Cake-Pops a la Bakerella

one cake
frosting (about 2/3 to 3/4 of a "can")
lollipop sticks
1 bag Candy Melts or Almond Bark
Styrofoam

Bake your cake.  When it is cool, crumble it into er... uh... crumbs.  Mix in frosting, 1/4 cup at a time, until it is a workable, moldable solid.  Chill in the fridge for a few hours.

Roll substance into 1" to 1 1/2" balls.

Melt candy in a double boiler.  Dip the end of a stick in the candy, and insert into the cake balls.  Put in the freezer for 10 minutes.  Take out 10 at a time, dip and twirl the pops into the candy, and insert into a styrofoam block to dry.  Immediately sprinkle something on top, if desired.  They solidify very quickly!

Repeat until finished, and then store in the fridge.  Makes around 45 Cake-Pops.

Get your husband to clean up the kitchen.

Love mine.  Thanks for the photos, sweetness.  And the kitchen-cleaning.


Looks as if I am behind the Cake-Pop after all.

I know.  Nerd.

Have a great Monday!

Rachel Bee

4 comments:

  1. The first time I heard about these was on a blog I just stumbled across. I had to try these - she called them cake truffles - but like you, I was unimpressed with using a cake mix and tub'o'chemicals and with the mess it created. Even if they tasted yummy.

    I blogged about it here: http://dailydoseofdahl.blogspot.com/2010/04/im-in-trouble-big-ballsy-trouble.html#comments

    The worst part for me was the dipping. I'm totally not a professional baker. I tried a couple things for the dipping, but what I liked best was an icing recipe that I got from my mom. You make it on the stove and it hardens as it cools. Plus, you can vary the flavor - richer dark chocolate or a sweeter milk chocolate or whatever you like in between. I'd be happy to send it to you if you are interested. It's super easy, but no less messy.

    Yours are so much more beautiful than anything I'll produce, but I just couldn't stop myself from commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, no! comment away! sure, send it! beconfectionate@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished making the cupcake shaped cakepops for my daughters birthday tomorrow. They are cute but I must say - I made them on such a hot day, they had condensation on them (on the dipped chocolate). So I put them back in the freezer to "fix" them (what I thought might "fix" the problem) but nope. NOW they are all sticky on the outside. Can someone suggest HOW to fix this problem. I took them out last night and put them in the cool basement but I would like to bag them today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry, just saw this!

    girl, i have only made them two or three times, so I am not an expert. i would check out bakerella's website!

    ReplyDelete