Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A progression of art.

Weddings are always on the brain at the Bee house (I seriously just spelled "house" as "howse."  Give me a break; it is 4:30 AM).  We have decided to make weddings our "business," so we are in a constant state of research and preparation in order to make weddings more remarkable.  Photos taken should evoke a gush of warmth and tender memory.  Photos taken should make a girl feel something like this:


Although recently I have received inquires about wedding cakes, I have quite a bit more experience in the hair/makeup department.  This area of my industry is despised by most, but the entry is a beacon of light and relief when I see formal hair or makeup on my book.

Saturday I had a trial run with a bride whose wedding I am particularly looking forward to.  This sweet girl has two sisters and a mother whose hair I also do, and their family couldn't be more precious to me.  The girls are like Disney princesses- with long, lustrous locks flowing down the middle of their backs- but smarter, less apt to showing their mid-drifts, and not likely to talk to vermin.  They are polite, well-spoken, determined, kind, and geez- downright intimidating at times!  The woman responsible for this trio is no different- but add consistent joy and encouragement (always, always a smile).  Rarely do a group of such women fall into your chair, and I am grateful for them.

I thought originally that the whole gang was going to come Saturday, and that is why I brought my trusty camera man along.  Although I am sure the bride is not used to having the constant strobe of flashbulbs in her eyes, she (of course) performed beautifully.  What is notable (and typical) is the consistent hilarity of my face in this progression of photos.  I can pose and model all I want, but stick a teasing comb and a few bobby pins in my hands, and I become a goof.

Enjoy!

Is there anything more beautiful than a table full of MAC??

 OK.  Perhaps the shiniest most gorgeous natural hair ever?

"Yes, sir.  I cannot abide the awesomeness of your tattoos."

Thinking, hard. 


"Man, this is looking good.  She is going to love this!"

The part when she gently tells me she doesn't love this.

Yanking bobby pins out, putting them back in (HAVE to appreciate honesty:)


There will be a second pin, and a bit more over to the side.  And less fuzzy.  No spray used in this "do."

Love this one.  What a strong and yet lovely woman.
I could have put hot pokers to her eyes and she wouldn't have flinched. 
Makeup artists: ever want to look at someone and say, "Uh- mascara and blush ought to do it?"  Her skin was nearly flawless.

Despite the silliness of my face in this picture, I love it.  
I got into doing hair as I looked up at 25 and thought, "I am not a 'famous' singer.  Ouch."  I went to get my hair done by my regular stylist after having one of the worst days of my life, and she suggested cosmetology school.  In the past I had dabbled in nearly every art-form, and I had always been interested in hair; but I never thought I would ever need to get a "real job."  I took her advice, and 6 years later I really don't have a single regret.  Although most of us have it, hair isn't something that everyone can do, and I appreciate the special skill.  I do get frustrated with the "salon world" as I don't care for the way the industry is headed (more on that later), but moments like the one above- the look in the bride's eyes- make all the difference to me.  I am probably saying something unintelligent, but her eyes speak trust, girlish-anticipation, and a general "Rachel, you're alright."

And I like that.

And I like my job.

And I like you.

Rachel Bee



No comments:

Post a Comment