Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sometimes motherhood...

... is so simple.

Check out this kid...


This is my little one.  He is a mess.  Right now he is trying to take his own shirt off.  He has one arm successfully through the neck hole: shoulder and left pectoral fully exposed.  Now he s trying to take his pants off (as he has given up on the shirt).

"Langston.  It is too cold.  You need to wear pants."

Now he is trying to put them back on.  Oh dear.  I should help him.  But first, I will smile.  OK.

Laugh.

Earlier today he and the dogs made a feast out of some cupcakes.  He left the room for a few, and I heard him very, very happy in the kitchen.  Then I heard the sound of a 65-pound dog licking the floor.

Gross.

I walked in to find him coated in chocolate, and only one of five cupcakes were accounted for.

Yes, I am aware of what chocolate does to dogs.  So I prayed, which is really all I can afford to do for our sweet pups right now.  And I sat Langston in "time-out."  Forever.

And now, Langston is naked, by the way...

"Buddy, where are your clothes?"  He retrieves them, and we put them back on.

Now they are off again.

Hmm.  And I said that mothering is simple.  Well, last night it was.

I came home from a long day at work to find that he was already asleep.  I spent a moment or two talking with my husband, causing Langston to stir.  I picked him up, and laid his sublimely pink body on my chest.  And I breathed.  And he calmed.  And he slept.  And then I thought, how wonderfully simple motherhood is in those moments.  Most of the time, my two and a half year-old is wild, trying, impatient, and goofy.  And yet, I feel God gives us those beautifully simple moments, when all that is required are arms and breath.  Our relationship is restored, and I am poised for the not-so-easy times.

Selah.

So I am going to make a transition to cake.  It is a Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake.


How gorgeous is this?


I attach the Peanut Butter Cake to my Langston story, as he might be ever-so-slightly allergic to peanuts.

Hey.  I never said it was a good transition.

This is a 6" little beauty.  I made it for a friend's birthday.

"Oh, isn't that sweet of you?" said another friend.

"Uh.  Someone paid me to do it."  And I felt awful.  I like her.  Should I have charged?  But I like everyone I bake cakes for.  I would be broke.

So I charged.


But know, Melissa, that I didn't want to charge.  Not at all.

I will post a recipe tomorrow.  Eh... now is fine.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

For a 6" 2-layer cake, I halve this cake.  I know, I know.  I make a lot of this cake.  People like this cake.  Some people love it.  Some people would rather buy bigger pants than resist this cake.  So I make it.

When it has cooled completely, make some frosting.

Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

1.5 sticks softened unsalted butter
.5 package cream cheese, softened
.5 cup smooth peanut butter (I use Jif Natural.  It is incredible)
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 t vanilla extract

Cream together the butter and cream cheese until very smooth.  Add the peanut butter and blend until fully incorporated.  Stir in the vanilla.  Add the sugar (please, please, please sift the sugar.  Do not try to skip this step).  Blend until smooth.

Garnish with all sorts of things.  I used the new mini Reeces, as well as Oreo cookie crumbs.  I have tried pulverizing some Butterfinger, but the frosting is way too sweet to add Butterfinger to it.  Just don't.

Alright.  Langston is sleeping, naked of course.  I'll grab a blanket, and perhaps I'll curl up with him.


Simple.

Rachel Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment