Friday, April 29, 2011

A foray into fondant...

It is true, I have made a few fondant flowers (daisy cut-outs and teeny balls), but I have never had a desire to work too much with the stuff.  I really don't care to sacrifice taste on the altar of cuteness.  Personally, I would rather receive a box full of cupcakes oozing fresh fruit and chocolate shavings, than stare at a cake wondering if the top layer is even edible.

The artist in me is, however, a little anxious to play in the doughy fun that is fondant, and when I received two themed cupcake requests for this weekend, I thought, "Why not?"

The first is for a hair client of mine: one of my oldest and most faithful.  She is a nurse in an ICU, and from what I can tell her hospital is implementing a new program- or maybe just her floor- I dunno.  All I do know is that she needed some cupcakes with stars atop them, and I told her I would deliver.

And this is what I came up with:


And another...


And what the hey, I love this one.  My hubs is so stinking creative.


Summery hues of tangerine, pink, and salmon; an ever-so-slight sparkle- all atop a mound of Swiss Meringue Buttercream and the lightest of cakes.  I also added a new ingredient: Princess Cake Emulsion.


Citrus, vanilla, and almond- all mixed into one magic little jar.  Delicious.

Delivering to a hospital was the largest challenge in this endeavor, as I really don't care for hospitals.  I don't care for them, not because of the obvious hospital issues, but because they are so big and confusing- and I get lost very easily.

And I got lost.  Actually, I didn't get lost- the information lady on the phone told me I was lost, and as I am inevitably always lost- I believed her.  I got back into my car for 15 minutes, only to find out that I was in the right place all along.  I was supposed to have the cupcakes there by the start of a meeting, and I was late.

Aargh.

I am sure they were just glad to have cupcakes.  And I was glad to make them.


Oh yeah.  There were chocolate ones, too!  They were so ooey and gooey, I bet they were a mess to get out of the box.  Chocolate: about the only thing worth making a mess over.

I get to make the second delivery this morning, and although I do know where I am going, my challenge will be: a toddler.


Ha.  I lol-ed.

Have a great day, people!

Rachel Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment